Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Music, Mario, Estudiano, Politic


Well said, bumper sticker. I feel that that captures my distate for present day politics, even though it maye be a little mellodramatic to talk about the US government being oppressive. At least it seems comparatively melodramitic when you think about the degree of oppression that's existed in the past and that still exists in a huge part of the world. Nonetheless, its good to keep in mind that this country was founded in this spirit , and that the major purpose of the constitution is to keep the state from being an overwhelming opponent in the struggle. The tradgedy, and the reason why the sticker resonates with me, is that people aren't even debating this question but have accepted that the state has a hegemonic role over its individuals. The only debate is what form that hegemony should take. And that, dear friends, is why I get disgusted with discussion about candidates for the presidency and so on.

Last weekend Matt, Jude, Steve and I had a marvelously geeky time. Steve had mentioned wanting to study physics for twelve hours, and Jude suggested doing it at her house since its comfy and quiet. The idea was we'd sit in a room together for a whole half a day and say nothing at all to eachother. Seem silly? Ask yourself the question: with how many of your friends can do you that? Its a good thing to be able to share eachother's company and not feel like we have to entertain eachother.

Here's the scene; or at least the prettiest portion of it. Note the "FUCK OFF" signs on the table and the wall.
Jude uses those to dissuade people from talking to her while she's studying at highlands, and so she put them out to remind us of the nature of the occasion. The one on the wall is an ambigram I did for her; rotationally symettric. I'm afraid that if she were to use it in public it would have the opposite effect: "What does that say?" *sigh* "The sign is intended to keep you away if you approach from either direction, but I guess it doesn't take into account the density of your skull." lol. Anyway, my ambigram was done in this playful mood, and isn't motivated by angsty misanthropy. The reason I took the picture is that I thought it felt really cool to have a drawing that I did hanging on somone's wall. Plus I think its funny that Jude's sitting between the two signs with an expression on her face that seems to be in sync with the symbolism.

Speaking of Jude's house and her marvelous hospitality; she's got an NES, withe the original Mario Brothers. You know a game is a classic when it can provoke such interest and emotional reaction after almost twenty years of having played it:



(I just lost my last life in world 8-3)

Actually a little bit frightening how involved I look there.

To aleviate some of the geekiness: on saturday (after the study-rama) we went to Rachael's birthday party at the Havana Martini club. Nice; pricy. They had a latin band playing, and there was salsa danceing. Fun, to be sure, but I've definately forgotten everything I ever learned about the steps and rythm.

Friday night there was a show at Murmur: Five bands (classified as what'd I'd call "experimental") in a circle; each played for fifteen minutes, then all played together and improvised (including the audience). Each band was unique and interesting, inspiring various degreas of aural pleaure. There were bits that were tough to grasp; but at the end (when I was banging on a fifty gallon drum and an i-beam with a rubber mallet and and a 2x4), I got it. I thought "oh, this is why they like doing this." Feels like you're part of the music; very bizzare.

Sunday night, after discussing Iran, global culture, capitalism, and sociology for a couple hours, somone had the idea that it would be interesting to go have an experience in cultural contrast by going through the drivethrough at wendy's and eating in their parking lot (real american style) then going up to the Gypsy Cafe and smoking hooka. Arthur and I had some good conversation on art, and he gave me some new inspiration; also I had a chai like i've never experienced before. It had bits of what I assume was cardamom floating around in it: maraviosa. I'd actually go back there just for that, its better for the mind and creativity than drinking booze every night. Cheaper too.

While we were there, there was a sort of guest book passed around; the idea being that each person draws a picture in it. I did an mirror-image ambigram of "Gypsy Lounge," immediately after which Arthur pointed out that the place is called "Gypsy Cafe." Say lavy, yo.

No comments: