Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Broken brake cable

It never ends, it seems. This is the only cable I haven't yet replaced, and to be fair it was my fault. I apparently didn't put a locking washer on the nut that keeps the front break drum from rotating (and there's lots of force on that nut), and it came out. The result was a weird noise as the brake cable wrapped itself around the hub, and me being shocked when I pulled the lever and found it completely slack. Its surprising that it didn't bind up and pitch me over the handlebars, and for that I'm thankful.

I'm trying to think of what else could break. The only area I haven't overhauled or replaced is the gearbox; so the next trouble is probably there. I have felt the clutch slip a little bit when I really give it gas...

Update: whether or not there was a locking washer on the bolt (and I suspect there actually was) doesn't matter. The threads were stripped right out of the hole. So despite having procured a new cable this morning, I can't install it properly until I get the hole tapped and a bigger bolt put through it.

No comments: