Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

HUM

I've been on vacation all week, and also sick all week. Rachael and I were planning on doing a bunch of city-exploring and sailing, plans that have been sort of hampered by fever and lung-hacking. We still managed a fair amount of exploration though, much of which is photo-documented and yet to be posted; we did the architecture tour on the river, rode the ferris wheel, went up the Sears (Willis) Tower, went vintage shopping and Hi-Fidelity site seeing in Wicker Park... and on Satuday, to cap it off, was the best show I have ever seen or ever will see:
To my lasting amazement, HUM did a reunion show here. This is one of my all-time favorite bands, and I've been a "listening to a lot of HUM" phase for the last six months or so. They had broken up a decade or so ago, so it was one of those bands that I would say "I wish I had been around (and going to shows) when they were touring" about, all full of regret and nostalgia. How great was my elation, then, when Rachael told me that they were playing at the Onion's A.V. Fest, right here in Chicago, a short train ride away from our place! It seemed too good to be true, compounded by the fact that the Onion likes to put things that are not true on their pages, but lo! they spoke truly.
They sounded awesome. They played bunch of my favorite songs, and couple new ones. I was surprised at how true to the recordings they sounded; there's a lot of stuff that seems one-off and unreproducible (in terms of screeches and things). And they were loud! Listening to Afternoon With the Axolotls in front of the speaker stacks was, well... difficult to describe for me. Like a religious experience. Like floating in the void of space and watching supernovas explode around me.
I can't say enough about how much this music means to me. The itunes reviews actually do a pretty good job describing it.

No comments: