Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

I just spent more money than I ever have in my life.

I got a house in exchange for it though, presumably. I say presumably because we're getting the keys later today.

Its been a comical journey. I woke up early to pick up a Car2Go (the little Smart cars that are for rent by the minute) so we could drive to the signing. The one I had reserved the night before had been taken, and it hadn't recommended me to another one like I thought it was supposed to. To be fair, this could be because the carI had requested was a block away, and the next available one was 1.5 miles away. This is why Zipcar has a competitive business model, I now realize. I reserved the car and walked the mile and a half, only to find that I had taken longer than fifteen minutes and the car had been reserved by someone else in the meantime. I found the next one, which was another half mile away, and I ran, uphill, to get it before the reservation ran out. That finally worked.

So I drive back to Ballard (from Fremont) to get Rachael and all our stuff. We've been living in furnished corporate housing for a month and a half, so its not as bad as it could have been, but we still had to fit four bags and three grocery bags of our stuff into the Smart car; not a whole lot of room to spare. We were both already stressed because the car thing made me late. Then, I left my hat on top of the car. My brand new awesome fucking brown top hat that I love. I realized it a block away and made to turn around, and Rachael screams "NO! THERES NO TIME!"... so we left it.

On the way there, we discovered that the smart car radio can't be turned off. Or rather, you can turn the volume all the way down, but you can't have the nav system tell you the directions without the sound up. What's displayed on the screen has no text. Anyway we missed a freeway exit, had a crisis moment, and eventually got there.

In any case, we've closed, and now we own a house.

No comments: